Aprilia’s Jorge Martín has ruled out setting any performance targets for his MotoGP comeback at this weekend’s Valencia Grand Prix, saying “it doesn’t make sense” to focus on results after his long injury layoff.
The 2024 world champion has been sidelined since a crash with team-mate Marco Bezzecchi during the Japanese Grand Prix sprint, which caused a shoulder injury — his fourth major setback in a difficult season. Martín has competed in just six of the 21 races so far in 2025.
He is set to undergo a medical check at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit on Thursday to determine if he is fit to ride.
“I can’t wait to be back with the team,” Martín said. “I’m really happy with the way the team is working, and I’d like to congratulate Aprilia and Marco on the results they’ve achieved.
“My goal now is to start preparing in the best possible way for next season. It doesn’t make sense to talk about results — the important thing is to put in the laps and gather information. I want to grow together with the team so that we’re ready for 2026.”
In Martín’s absence, Aprilia has enjoyed a strong run, with Raúl Fernández winning in Australia and Bezzecchi dominating in Portugal. The manufacturer is set to finish second behind Ducati in the constructors’ standings, while Bezzecchi is on course to secure third in the riders’ championship — a first for an Aprilia rider in MotoGP history.
Martín will also meet with FIM stewards this weekend, as his collision with Bezzecchi in Japan remains under investigation. His initial hearing was postponed due to his hospitalization after the crash.
Bezzecchi, meanwhile, says the Valencia finale will be crucial for maintaining Aprilia’s momentum.
“It will be important to try to have a good weekend and finish the season in the best possible way,” he said. “It’s been more than a year since we last raced in Valencia, so it’ll be nice to go back there. We’ll try to do a good job and keep going in this direction.”


